The decision to remain in one’s current home, move to another home, move to an assisted living (retirement or long term care) residence or live with adult sons and daughters is often one of the biggest care conversations within a family. Finding the best option can make a positive difference in the quality of life for both care recipients and caregivers.
When is the right time to move and what is the best choice for you or the person you are caring for? Sometimes, more than one move will be necessary. Making a decision requires thoughtful discussion of current and anticipated care needs, identifying lifestyle preferences, identifying both spouse/partner’s needs when couples may have to live separately, careful consideration of the impact on multiple generations living under the same roof, understanding the different types of assisted living residences, careful research into specific homes, financial considerations and tremendous compassion for all family members. There are no one-size-fits-all answers.
To help guide you and your family, I offer the following services:
- Family sessions to explore housing options that meet specific care and lifestyle needs
- Research into potential retirement and long term care residences
- Coaching family on what to look for when touring and choosing a home
- Advocating for and supporting family during the application process
- Preparing for the move and transitioning individuals into their new home
- Ongoing support to ensure that care needs are being met
The road ahead can be untangled – one step at a time.
To arrange a free, no-obligation telephone consultation, click on the Contact Me page.